Thursday 4 July 2013

Summer Lovin' Read-A-Thon: Tears on My Pillow




The Amber Spyglass
Noughts & Crosses
Twenties Girl
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Inkspell
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Shadow Kiss
Private Peaceful
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Wanderlove
The Disenchantments
 


“Tears on My Pillow” Participation Post: 
Share a quote from your current read or tell us about a book that really pulled on your heart strings. What was it about that book/quote that made you cry?


Books can make me cry, though for different reasons. The first reason is obvious: if a book is sad. This usually involves a death of my favourite character - it seems that my favourites always die. This became a running joke when me and my friends watched Lost. Other reasons are if the book's ending is bittersweet. If it's happy/sad that usually has me crying. If I feel a connection the characters, that is. The third reason is if it's just incredibly sweet. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and, seemingly, a bit of a wimp. Happy movies tend to make me cry more than sad ones do. 
 


I'm going to focus specifically on Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. A friend lent me this book and, at first, I didn't have high expectations of it. However, I quickly became enthralled and when I finished I realised what an exceptional book it was.

This book tells of a tale of a young boy's imaginary friend. The imaginary friend, Budo, had been around for five years - much longer than imaginary friends usually last. This is because Max needs Budo more than most kids usually need their imaginary friends. And when a kid no longer needs their imaginary friend, they disappear, they die.




This book really made me cry at the end. It falls under category two: a bittersweet ending. When I gave the book back to my friend, I ending up crying all over again and she had to laughingly comfort me. 

It was so beautiful because the character ends up confronting the thing he fears most of all, all for the sake of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment