Saturday 22 June 2013

Favourite Female Characters: Top 10

10)
Tiffany Aching
First appears in "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett 

I should have learned this, she thought. I wanted to learn fire, and pain, but I should have learned people.

Tiffany Aching was my heroine growing up. Terry Pratchett knows how to create original, likable, funny characters. And, brave, smart, feisty and sensible beyond her age (though that doesn't exclude her from making mistakes), Tiffany was someone who I loved reading about.











9)
Chloe Camden
Appears in "Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe" by Shelley Coriell 


I loved being a burrito.

Chloe is a refreshing change when compared to female characters usually featuring in YA books. She's fun, outgoing, loyal, friendly, bubbly... Someone who I'd love to be. Her narrative was lovely to read.











8)
Renn
First appears in "Wolf Brother" by Michelle Paver

“You cannot go and warn him," Saeunn said sternly. "It is too late. You would never find him."
"I know," said Renn without turning her head.
To herself she added, But I've still got to try.


Renn has an interesting past which I enjoyed seeing unfolding. In her own right, she was as much a main character as Torak. I loved how she was gifted with mage-craft and found it interesting how much she hated this and tried to avoid it at first. A very interesting, strong and smart female character.







7)
Linh Cinder
First appears in "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer

She was a cyborg, and she would never go to a ball.

Cinder was also a refreshing change of personality. In fantasy books, I'm used to reading about reckless, fiery characters (such as Scarlet, who features in the second book of this series). There's nothing wrong with these characters, but I've never been able to relate to them. Cinder, a sensible, smart and logical girl, breaks the mould. She's also part cyborg, so that's pretty awesome.







6)
Coriel Halsing
Appears in "Summer At Castle Auburn" by Sharon Shinn

Now he, too, looked angry. "I am afraid of many things, but those are not the fears that keep me from action," he said.
I turned my back on him. "Then I don't understand you," I said.
I heard the door open. "No," he said, "and you never have.”


This is one of my favourite books so of course I had include Corie. The development of her character throughout the book makes it such a joy to read. She starts a believably naive young girl and turns into a strong, fierce and brave young woman.







5)
Pauline Stoker
Appears in "Thank You, Jeeves" by P.G Wodehouse

Unquestionably an eyeful, Pauline Stoker had the grave defect of being one of those girls who want you to come and swim a mile before breakfast and rout you out when you are trying to snatch a wink of sleep after lunch for a merry five sets of tennis.

Ha, I really just put this in for comic value. Because Pauline Stoker is hilarious. She's so bossy! She's constantly getting our lovable narrator, Bertie, into such tricky situations without seeming to realise she is. Though she's also a sweet girl, I definitively wouldn't want to cross her.







4)
Katniss Everdeen
First appears in "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead. The hard thing is finding the courage to do it.

I'm not including Mockingjay when I include Katniss at number four. I'm only taking the first book into consideration because in this one Katniss is an incredibly strong heroine. I wish I could use a bow and arrow like her...










3)
Hermione Granger
First appears in "Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone" by J.K Rowling

“Are you planning to follow a career in Magical Law, Miss Granger?” asked Scrimgeour.
“No, I’m not,” retorted Hermione. “I’m hoping to do some good in the world!”


Hermione Granger is such a wonderful character. Incredibly brave, smart, logical and flawed. She is the heroine I looked up to when I was younger and continue to do so today.







2)
Annabeth Chase
First appears in "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan 

She raised an eyebrow. "You got something to say to me, Seaweed Brain?"
"You'd probably kick my butt."
"You know I'd kick your butt."

Annabeth Chase very nearly took the top place. She is smart, brave, dependable, proud and just overall an amazing character. Rick Riordan did an amazing, amazing job with her. Even though Annabeth Chase is not the narrator of this series, I always felt such a strong connection to her and enjoyed reading about her immensely.






1)
Rose Hathaway
First appears in "Vampire Academy" by Richelle Mead

“What’s going on?” he demanded.
“The usual, old man,” I replied cheerily. “Danger, insane plans... you know, the stuff that runs in our family.” 


Strong, dependable, fiercely loyal, badass and brave, Rose Hathaway is exactly the type of female character that I look up to. She does an amazing amount of development throughout the VA series, turning from a reckless young girl to a strong, mature woman. Her snarky running commentary is always welcome.






I guess I can see a pattern forming now that I've finished this list. :) I might do my favourite male characters next. Or my worst female characters!

Who are your favourite female characters? Are there any on this list? Don't agree? Let me know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment